Thursday, February 10, 2005

Roz Roz aankhon tale - Memories revisited

For some reason i felt like listening to old hindi music today - the bollywood variety...and i don't know why but this song by R.D.Burman - 'Roz Roz aankhon tale' kept buzzing in my mind. But i had no clue which movie it was from...so i did what i always do when in need of information - i google - solution to all my queries, the inquisitives of the world will vouch for it! ...so i googled and voila! - Roz Roz aankhon tale - music director R.D.Burman, movie: Jeeva (Jeeva!! whatever is that!! never heard of it!).

Logged onto musicindiaonline and started listening to Roz Roz... and all these memories and emotions came rushing in...memories of a distant past when everything seemed rosy, bubbly and beautiful.

The first time i heard this song was when i had just started my first job - at NIIT. I was young. Talented(or so i thought!). Had just fallen-in-love resulting in a state of being inexplicable in words! And like most youngsters was into music and singing BIG-TIME!! Amongst my friends was this guy much senior to me but shared my taste in bollywood music - was a RD.Burman fan to be precise. And it was he who first introduced me to this song. I was surprised that i hadn't heard of it since i was a big RD fan...but i loved it from the moment i heard.

Perhaps because of the state of 'love' that i was in at that point or for the lyrics especially the first few lines...
Roz Roz aankhon tale, Ek hi sapna chale, raat bhar kaajal jale, aankh mein jis tarah khwaab ka dia jale...
this song touched me like nothing else.


And when i heard these words again they brought back memories of long endless nights of long endless conversations on the phone, sleepless nights dreaming with your eyes open (raat bhar kaajal jale...), a longing which is so pure and yet so incomprehensible. What is it about love that makes people do seemingly stupid things with so much sincerety and passion...

This song also brought back memories of days when we would record audio cassettes for each other with our favourite songs...i remember telling him about this song that i had heard and the next thing i get from him is this collection of beautiful songs that he cared to remember were my favourites in a cassette...written in his lovely handwriting on the cover was 'A's Favourites'. I still have that cassette with me. I don't play it anymore. I don't have a cassette player anymore...everything is in CDs and DVDs. But i will always keep it, as a souvenir of the days when i was young...and in-love.


If only one could capture these chunks and moments of life in a cassette for eternity and replay them once in a while...to feel alive.


For anyone who listens to songs online, check this site out. It has an awesome collection of indian music you can listen to. http://www.musicindiaonline.com/